Saturday, August 10, 2013

Moving Boxes on loan

Jesus anointed at Bethany.

Now the Passover and the Festival of Unleavened Bread were only two days away, and the chief priests and the teachers of the law were scheming to arrest Jesus secretly and kill him. “But not during the festival,” they said, “or the people may riot.” 

While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head. 

Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, “Why this waste of perfume? It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages and the money given to the poor.” And they rebuked her harshly. “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. The poor you will always have with you, and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. Truly I tell you, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.
                                       - Mark 14:1-10

Close one eye and fast forward to today, the Son of God is reclining and enjoying a meal at your place.   You are so overcome with love and joy that you break out the checkbook and write him a check for one year of your household income.  Easy right!  Of course, because it is Jesus in my house flesh and blood.

So now here is my struggle, faith and complete trust. Is it really okay to give that much to him?  What about my family, my retirement, my toys and hobbies.

This morning we were discussing this scripture and one shared that he had a friend that was preparing to move.  He wanted to help his friend and remembered that he had several moving boxes in his attic.  At that moment he had many thoughts that passed by: would I get them back? Will they be damaged?  What about when I'm ready to move? Will the wife be upset?

After working through the questions he felt good about loaning them and writing his name on them with a request to getting as many back as possible.  Most in the room agreed that that was fair.

Now reading this and hearing the red letter words of Christ, I wonder.  My question is why not give away all the boxes away with no strings to the Glory of God and trust that when I am ready to move that God will provide.

My prayer:

Mark 9:24: I believe but help me with my unbelief.  Amen.

Brad
S.A.S.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment